Join the team of our sister company:
“THE ALCOHOLIC WATER COMPANY” – a portfolio of premium hard seltzers.
NEW VACANCY: CLOSING DATE 8TH JANUARY 2021
VACANCY: UK COMMERCIAL MANAGER (OFF TRADE FOCUS)
A rare opportunity to join a newly launched company in one of the fastest growing drink categories, hard seltzers. Showcasing a portfolio of uniquely targeted, stand out brands, this role will drive customer adoption through listings, distribution and case growth throughout the UK with a particular focus on retail..
- £40,000- £50,000 per year (based on experience)
- Performance bonus
- Travel allowance
- Location: UK home based with occasional travel to office (London or Glasgow)
- Start Date: Early 2021 (dependent on current notice period)
- Contract Type: Full Time, Permanent
- Region: UK
In case you don’t know, what are Hard Seltzers?
Hard Seltzers are, in short, alcoholic fizzy water brands.
They hit the USA market in 2016 and have been an immediate success, creating a new drink category that is growing faster than any other and stealing share from beer, spirits and wine.
Hard sparkling waters have grown to account for nearly half (43%) of all US mixed drinks” and outsold vodka in USA last year (IWSR, 2019).
There are some unifying truths about hard seltzers that make them broadly appealing:
- Low calorie (<100 calories per serve)
- Gluten free
- Naturally flavoured
- Highly refreshing
These product attributes tap into the consumers’ need of having healthier alcoholic drinks in a convenient serve whilst conveying a lifestyle message.
Who are The Alcoholic Water Company Ltd?
Based in the UK, with an office in Glasgow and team members based across the UK, The Alcoholic Water Company Ltd is an exciting start-up established in 2019 by four founders; Drew Shannon, Greg Saunders, Craig Strachan and Hannah Fisher. Each own a variety of drink focused businesses based in London, Chicago and Glasgow, covering branding, advertising, manufacturing, liquid development and accountancy.
With a combined, cross functional experience of over 60 years – working with some of the worlds biggest alcohol brands, this syndicate of drink specialists formed to take advantage of the fast-growing drink phenomena coming from the USA that is hard seltzers (e.g. alcoholic water).
Over the coming years, we plan to release multiple Hard Seltzer brands as we seek to broaden the category and maximise the huge growth potential we have seen in America. Within 18 months, we shall have launched a portfolio of premium, targeted and differentiated Hard Seltzers – with the UK a key market for our success.
In November 2020, we launched our first premium hard seltzer brand, Lilo. Lighter and Lower than the competition, Lilo is the art of Hard Seltzer and is clearly differentiated from other Hard Seltzers.
- Each flavour contains a bespoke botanical spirit crafted to perfectly match its natural flavours distilled by an award winning distiller
- It’s the lowest calories in market
- It is the lowest abv in category [just 3.5%]
- It uses Scottish water (known for its purity)
- Each can has exceptional stand-out on shelf due to its unique artwork by globally renowned artist Maria Rivans.
The role is responsible for driving and managing our UK sales. This includes direct management of key customers in the UK (specifically multiple retail, large pub operators and outdoor festivals) but there is opportunity to expand the role, in time, through exports. This will include sourcing the right distribution partners across Europe and supporting our international distributors by serving as brand ambassador and managing the commercial relationship with our partners.
Ultimately, you will be entrepreneurial at heart as you will work to establish effective routes to market in UK (and Europe one day) for each brand in your portfolio (off and on trade) to achieve financial growth by increasing sales and distribution.
You will have a black book of “buyer” contacts with the ability to achieve some quick-win listings based on your customer knowledge, professionalism and contact list.
Who we are looking for?
Our perfect candidate is someone who comes with a proven track record for launching new brands that attract large UK customers in the alcoholic drinks industry. If you can specifically demonstrate success in UK RTD’s, even better!
You will be tenacious, ambitious with a fierce desire to succeed – and be attracted to the concept of a a start-up business working in an emerging category. An authentic, genuine communicator who people naturally “buy in to” and want to be on the journey with you. You will be experienced in delivering commercial results, whilst also being enthusiastic about building our brands.
In a nutshell, a strategic and self-motivated UK sales individual with a “can do” attitude to join our small, specialist and ambitious team and be a fundamental cog in helping us grow.
You will demonstrate an understanding and appreciation of sales channel and marketing principles, with strong commercial acumen and communication skills. You will be ambitious, charismatic and educated to degree level or equivalent. Travelling forms part of the role and will include weekends when required (once all restrictions are lifted). Of course, it is also important to be willing to learn and ambition to grow within the business. Great organisation and time management skills are essential to be successful in this role.
- Establish listings and rate of sale with large UK customers in the off and on trade.
- Work with customers and distributors to generate innovative marketing plans to promote our brands and meet customer needs.
- Present to and consult with founders on market trends with a view to developing new brands and distribution channels
- Identify opportunities for distribution channels that will lead to an increase in sales.
- Increasing business opportunities through various routes to market.
- Creation, development and implementation of business strategy per key market to ensure growth in each selected country.
- Forecasting commercial and depletion planning.
- Tracking sales goals and reporting results in quarterly business reviews.
- Acting as a spokesperson for The Alcoholic Water Company Ltd at International events.
- In the future, source and imbed new “fit for purpose” European distribution partners.
Skills & Experience:
- Successful previous experience as a sales representative or sales manager, consistently meeting or exceeding targets.
- Extensive exposure to sales especially in both customer and distributor management.
- Proven track record in successfully managing large UK customers (retail and on premise).
- There is a particular focus in this role for UK retail experience with the major players so experience and proven success is a must.
- Experience in planning and implementing commercial strategies
- Experience in customer relationship management.
- A clear ability to work both strategically and at the hands-on level with large customers.
- Demonstrable evidence of strong negotiation, commercial and strategic planning skills.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate, present and influence credibly and effectively at all levels of the organisation including our investors.
- Desirable but not essential – demonstrate direct exposure and success in Spain, Germany, Scandinavia, Italy and France.
Key Attributes of the Successful Candidate:
- At least 6 years’ sales FMCG experience – high beneficial if in RTD, alcoholic branded products and/or own label products.
- Large UK Customer management within FMCG sector.
- Experience and passion for the drinks industry.
- IT skills and proficient use of all Microsoft Office Products
- Excellent communication skills
- Strong commercial acumen and numeracy skills
- Brand marketing awareness
- Willingness to travel
How to apply?
If you would like to apply, please send your CV and Covering Letter to firstname.lastname@example.org before the closing date of 8th January 2021. The process shall involve a two-stage interview, both of which shall be held in January 2021.